I'm so excited to share with you this easy and inexpensive DIY! It was inspired by Phillip Lim and Prada's colored fur clutches as pictured above. I absolutely love the end result and can't wait to experiment with other bold colors! Have fun and please, please credit Behind the Seams when using this DIY!
Supplies you will need: White Faux Fur, Color Dye (RIT or IDYE), Glue Gun, Glue Sticks, Scissors, Gloves, Stainless Steel Pot, Wooden Spatula, Clutch with clasps
Make sure you are wearing gloves because it's going to get messy! They prevent colorful fingers and offer protection from the hot water in the dye bath.
1. Fill a large stainless steel or enamel pot with just enough warm water for the fabric to move freely. For visual purposes, the hot water was poured into a plastic container.
2. Add pre-wetted fabric and raise temperature to a simmer, just below boiling.
3. Add the soluble dye packet to water and stir until it is fully dissolved.
4. Place faux fur in dye bath.
5. Maintain simmer and stir with a wooden spatula frequently for 30-45 minutes.
6. Turn off heat and remove fabric from dye bath.
7. Squeeze all the excess water from the fur. Be careful as fabric and dyebath will be hot.
8. Rinse with cold water
9. Lay some newspapers down on a flat surface and place the colored fur on top of them. Let it air dry for a day.
You are now ready to rock your colorful fur clutch this fall/winter season!